Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The first days of the rest of my life

Just a mere 5 days ago, an unexpected call pointed my life in the direction I will be heading for years to come. I was getting dressed to go to lunch with Nan (my grandma), and I got a call from an unknown 916-number. Since I had a dentist appointment scheduled the next day, I figured it was the dentist's office calling to confirm my appointment. Boy was I pleasantly surprised...

"Is this ________ _______?"

"Yes this is her"

"Hello, this is Ed ____ calling on behalf of the UC Davis SOM Admissions Committee, and I have some very good news"

"(stomach drops) And what is that?"

"Well, I would like to say congratulations, as the admissions committee is offering you admission"

"(freak out as quietly as possible) OMG Thank you sooooo much! I am so happy! I can't even tell you how excited I am"

"Well, good things come to those who wait"

"Wow... so what do I have to do now?"

"Just say that you accept and that you'll be joining us in the summer"

"I 100% accept!!!!!"

"But you won't be joining us in the summer? hahaha"

"No I will!!!! hahahha"

And boy will I.... After finishing an unmotivated, discouraging quarter a few days prior, this call made me the happiest person in the world. I can't believe that all of my dreams are coming true. I have wanted this and worked toward it my entire life, and it's actually happening! And much sooner than I thought. Now I can relax for the rest of my amazing senior year at UCLA. And to be perfectly honest, I don't even think I need to worry about choosing any other schools that I could potentially get into over Davis because it is a much better school than any of those I haven't heard from yet. So it looks like I am going to Davis come July! I love the school itself, but I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about living so close to home. I mean I love my family, but I love to explore new cities and be totally on my own. Alas, there is always residency for that, I suppose. And by attending Davis vs. out of state schools, I have a much better chance of getting into a dream residency in SF!

Which brings me to my newest dilemma: whether or not to cancel my Rush Medical College (Chicago) interview coming up. I'm pretty sure I won't be going there, but since I already paid for the flight, and I can only get half of my money back (and in airline credit!). I might as well go, and maybe just maybe I will fall in love or something. But at the same time, I will be taking the interview spot from someone who really wants to go there... I guess I have some thinking to do.

Lastly, since I have been home and there is not much to do... I have been channeling all of my excitement into SDN. How much of a loser am I for regularly checking the Davis thread for potential classmates? :P

No comments:

Post a Comment