Friday, June 8, 2012

Kids Are Like Little Crazy People

   It's been a while since I blogged, but it's actually because I've had so much going on that I just haven't had time.  I've had a lot going on though, so look out for a bunch of posts coming up!  Anyway, I had a realization today, so thought I'd blog about it since everything else I want to blog about is going to take too long.  I was talking with one of the residents on outpatient psych today who has a new baby and toddler.  We were talking about kids, and about how there really is no "right" time to have them as a physician-in-training, and how it's do-able in med school/residency - people just make it work.

   In case you don't know me very well, having kids someday is something I was completely opposed to until the last couple of years.  In the last couple of years I have been considering it, finally starting to see the appeal.  Anyway, she was telling me some super cute stories about her kids, and it dawned on me: kids are like mini-crazy people! The things they say and do, and the crazy imaginations they have, they are like innocent, tiny, psychotic people!  And I learned REAL quick on inpatient psych how much I love crazy people.  So maybe I really will enjoy having children of my own someday!  :)  I just thought it was a funny way of looking at kids, and it pushes me more in the direction of wanting to have some of my own someday (in the far future... lol).

  On another note, BF has been working nights for OB/Gyn and I've had some long days on outpatient psych, so I haven't seen him since Wed, and I won't get to see him until Saturday afternoon.  And then I only get to see him for like an hour between sleeping and his next shift.  It might not seem like a big deal, but when you see each other at least every single night, it's different.  I miss him :/ ... Luckily it's not permanent.  But how do people do it?  How the heck do people manage to keep relationships and marriages going during residency?  I guess it's just something that you get used to and adjust accordingly?  I guess if you have a relationship that can make it through residency, you can probably make it through just about anything!

    I'm excited because BF is coming to my family's house for Thanksgiving, and I am going to his family's house in Connecticut for Christmas.  It's kind of a big deal for me because I have never spent Christmas away from my parents/sister!  I think it will be fun though! Apparently, they have lobster... so I like them already. 

3 comments:

  1. LOL! I love your comparison of kids to psychotic people. Just remember, though, they're also little sponges that are just copying what they see around them. Mmm hmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! Kids are like little maleable psychotic people. And maybe they pick up a few things from their crazy parents along the way! :P

      Delete