Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Med School Milestones

So I haven't blogged in a while, probably because there hasn't been anything TOO interesting going on lately.  Last week, we had a pretty invasive lab with our cadaver, where we had to completely detach his right leg.  Usually I don't really get grossed out by our cadaver (besides his funky smell), but this day was a little much for me.  First, I cut his penis right in half, which made even us girls cringe.  Then, a fellow member of my group did most of the hacking and sawing of the pelvic and spinal bones to detach the leg.  It was pretty gross in that for some reason it was just hard for me to "detach" myself from the fact that we were HACKING through a human body.  It reminded me of Dexter or something.  Oh well, it wasn't too bad, and at least by the time we got to him, he couldn't feel anything!

This morning, we learned to give a female pelvic exam on a plastic vagina simulator.  I know this may sound weird, but I was excited to give it a try (since this may be where I end up eventually).  It was pretty cool!  I think we get to do the real thing in the next couple of weeks sometime.  I am looking forward to next week when we learn phlebotomy in Doctoring class and we all get to stick each other with needles! (no sarcasm, I am actually excited)

I'm definitely starting to stress about school a lot less.  Still working on finding my balance where I can not over stress about studying, but still pass my classes ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment