Saturday, October 16, 2010

Red October

Flu Shots!


The second years warned us that October would be a crazy month, and I don't think I realized it until this week.  The first week, we had Quiz #5 and our second anatomy practical in the same week.  Next up, biochem final on Monday, then we have Quiz #6 the next Tuesday, which covers three weeks worth of material instead of two.  And personally, I have my anatomy oral presentation the week after Quiz #6.  This month has absolutely no breaks whatsoever, and it's getting exhausting!  On the other hand, I can't believe that Block one is over half way done!  I have learned so much in such a short time.  But I guess that is what med school is all about!  I have loved every step of the way so far... I can't wait to see what else is in store for me.

I am feeling relatively okay with the upcoming biochem final.  Luckily, I only need less than 50% on it to pass the class (there are no grades at UCD).  That has not helped with motivating me to study, but at least I am not stressed out.  To be honest, I'm not really feeling very stressed about school anymore, just a little tired.  I'm still getting the hang of having tests so often.  And going from a 10 week quarter system to a 4.5 month block has been an adjustment in itself.  If I was still in undergrad, I would already be done with the quarter!

The one downside of "Red October" has been that I have sort of been putting off exercising and eating healthy.  Being busy is no excuse not to exercise, I know.  I am working on it!  Tomorrow I am getting back into it.  I especially love zumba... it's so fun you forget you are exercising.  As far as not eating healthy anymore, I don't really know what happened between the beginning of school and now.  I am less stressed than I was then, so that isn't it.  I am definitely an emotional eater though (*gasp* my secret is out!) but I am still learning what triggers it.  I noticed that I tend to want to "console" myself with comfort food after a long, exhausting, draining day.  Or when I am feeling restless/bored with studying.  I was doing so well a few months ago, and the only thing that has really changed is that I am just worn out now.  I am often behind on sleep and I have been in much need of a real, true, non-studying break.  Well, I am aware of it now, and I am making an effort to not eat when I'm not truly physically hungry.  Also, I am going to go back to not buying any sort of junk food.  It's so much easier not to eat crap when it's not waiting for you in the fridge.

Enough about my issues (haha, bet you didn't think I was gonna get all self-analytical on you, did you?)... I have achieved some more medical school milestones!  On Monday, I gave my first real female pelvic exam.  I actually did a pretty good job (verified by our preceptor).  Yes, I did have the advantage of going last, but at least I learned from everyone's mistakes - unlike one person in my group haha.  I thought the procedure was pretty cool (in a non-creepy way) and I am looking forward to seeing more ob/gyn related stuff!  I also shadowed a doctor in family practice/OB this week, which was an inspiring experience.  Although we mostly saw family practice patients, I thoroughly enjoyed my day following her around.  The whole time I just kept thinking, "I can't wait to be a doctor".

Okay, I know this has been a long post, but one more funny story: so in a doctoring lecture, we were learning about examining ears.  The physician needed a volunteer and no one wanted to do it, so I volunteered and showed the whole class my tympanosclerosis!  It looked just like the slides the doctor showed us right before!

I lied... ONE last thing.  Our friend Eric dropped off pumpkins for all of us on our porch to wish us luck on the final! So nice! :)

1 comment: