Thursday, February 17, 2011

"A Call To Heal, A Call To Serve: Our Vital Presence In The Community"

Tonight I went to SNMA's (Student National Medical Association, "the nation's oldest and largest independent, student-run organization focused on the needs and concerns of medical students of color.") Candlelight Dinner in celebration of Black History Month.  I can't even describe in words how wonderful the evening was!  So many powerful, dynamic speeches/performances that I got goosebumps several times!  I feel so inspired by the amazing speakers and performers, and I am in utter awe of my classmates for putting on such a moving event.

The keynote speaker of the evening, Dr. La Donna White M.D., had a very important message for us.  I will recreate the main point of her speech to the best of my ability:

"The most important thing you can give back to the community is your TIME.

T is your talent.  Everyone has something unique to them that they were just meant to do.  You have to find out what that particular thing is and nurture it.

I is making an investment.  Invest in your talent.  Make it the best you can and use it in the situation that could use it the most.

M is motivation.  What is yours?  What keeps you going?  Do what you do for other people,  because that is the greatest motivation.

E is encourage others.  Share your talent with people that otherwise would feel like they have no hope.  Invest your time into giving them hope. And most of all, encourage them to do the same."


















I am honored that I was invited to share such a heart-warming experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment