Friday, February 25, 2011

I Need To Buy Rainboots

This morning on our ten minute walk to school, my roommate and I encountered a TSUNAMI of hail and rain.  It was so loud that we couldn't even hear each other from 3 feet away while we were yelling!  We both had umbrellas, but we still ended up getting absolutely SOAKED.  Of course, as soon as we got to class it stopped raining and the sun came out...  I have been meaning to get some comfy rainboots for a while, and I think this was a hint that I really need to.  My poor little tennis shoes didn't stand a chance... so now I have been sitting in class all day with them off, trying to let my socks dry.



The other day in The Healer's Art, we talked about "moments of awe", which we as physicians have the privilege to experience quite often.  However, anyone can experience these moments of awe, where we just can't explain what is going on, or they just leave us with a feeling of wonderment/admiration.  Or at least that is my definition of what awe is; everyone has their own.  I think its just something that you just know in that moment that something special is happening.  

Anyway, when my roommate and I were being pelted by the hail it, it wasn't fun getting soaked and having wet shoes for the rest of my 6 hour day at school, but I have to admit it was pretty cool hearing the loud roar of the hail and just seeing the sheer amount of water and ice being dumped from the sky at once.  It was pretty impressive, and not something that you experience very often; a "moment of awe" if you will.  It was one of those moments where you can do absolutely nothing about it (like getting soaked), so you might as well laugh about it and enjoy it for what it is.

PS- a cool tip of advice from a 4th year facilitating our small group case today:  "When considering specialties, don't fixate on things you are going to lose, but concentrate on what you want to hold on to.... because no matter what specialty you go into, you are going to lose a lot"


1 comment:

  1. One of the cool pieces of residency advice I got from an ob/gyn this week was to always think about what the bread and butter of each specialty is, and decide based on how much you love the bread and butter rather than what we're prone to do - focus on the coolest, most out there scenarios.

    ReplyDelete