Last year's resolutions revisited:
- "Do some serious soul-searching/spiritual discovery": I honestly did give some thought to this throughout the year, but I interestingly ended up in the very same spot I started out. Which is okay with me, it just means that now I am more sure about how I feel!
- "Lose weight/maintain a healthy lifestyle": I definitely accomplished my goal of getting back to my normal weight after the holidays last year. As far as eating healthy and exercising on a regular basis, I tend to go through phases. At times I eat ridiculously healthy and at one point was training for a half marathon, and then there are other times where I gorge myself and don't work out for over a month. I think overall, the two phases end up canceling each other out so that my overall lifestyle is about mostly healthy. Also, I have been able to keep off all of the weight I lost in 2010, so I'm really happy about that.
- "Put more effort into establishing and maintaining relationships": Friendship-wise, I think I lived up to this goal as good as I could have imagined. I feel like I've really strengthened a lot of my friendships here in med school, and I've learned to appreciate all my friends for all the different qualities they have to offer. I've also really enjoyed the cooking/dining out adventures I've had with my friends this year, and I can't wait to have more. What can I say, we just LOVE food! I've tried to keep in contact with my UCLA and high school friends as best I can, but this is still a work in progress for me.
- "Take pictures whenever possible": Along with my diet/exercise goal, I went through phases with this one too. I think I managed to take a lot of great pictures in 2011, and can't wait to take more in 2012. I will just have to find more opportunities to take them!
- "Cook some delicious stuff": I more than exceeded at this goal. 2011 was FULL of cooking adventures with my sister or with my friends. I grew an appreciation for the Food Network. I also discovered my FAVORITE cook book store in San Francisco: Omnivore Books. Towards the end of the year, I stopped cooking as much due to lack of time and excess laziness, but I got a professional mixer for Christmas, so I've been re-inspired to cook again!
New resolutions for 2012:
- Continue a healthy lifestyle: I would like to continue to eat FAIRLY healthy. I also would like to get back into an exercise routine, especially with boards studying coming up, I don't want to just be sitting for 12 hours per day for three months.
- Gun it up for boards (in non-malicious way): Since all of our classes are graded Pass/No Pass, I've made the conscious decision to spend less time trying to "get an A" in my classes, and more time keeping my life balanced with friends, relaxation, etc. After an extremely encouraging meeting with one of the school's student advisors, I am feeling energized and ready to work my ass off for boards. OB/Gyn doesn't require a ridiculously high boards score, but I would really like to have options when I apply to residency programs. I'm feeling like I can get a really good score if I put in the time.
- Maintain a balanced, happy life with boards studying (and later with clinical rotations).
- Blog more: about whatever! Towards the end of 2011, I sort of dropped the ball on blogging. I got really busy, and also felt like I didn't have much to say.
So here's to another amazing year! 2012 is going to be a year of hard work, and hopefully worthwhile rewards.