Wednesday, July 14, 2010

My First Glance At Sacramento County Hospital

Today I went with a friend (I won't say who just to protect her privacy) to her doctor appointment at the County hospital in Sacramento - coincidently right down the street from my house in Oak Park.  It was really interesting to people watch, as you see a much different crowd here than you do at Kaiser, but all in all there was a general vibe of friendliness from the patrons of this hospital.  While the triage nurse and other nurses we met were pretty stand-offish and cold, the doctors were surprisingly warm, compassionate and easy to relate to (which in my experience, is the opposite of what you see sometimes).  I was very impressed with the doctors my friend saw.  My friend, who is very supportive of my journey to becoming a physician, allowed me to sit in on her entire appointment, so I was able to see an IUD being removed and a new one inserted.  It was very cool to watch, and I can definitely see myself ending up in the field of Women's Health.

So, I have been failing at keeping up with my 30 Day Challenge of blogging, but that is only because I feel that the topics are lame.  In case you are dying to know the info that I missed in the last few days, my favorite TV show is LOST, my favorite book is The Hot Zone by Richard Preston (I know, I am a nerd).  My favorite authors are probably Michael Crichton and Dan Brown. My favorite quote is the Serenity Prayer, even though I consider myself more spiritual vs. religious.

"God grant me the serenity 
to accept the things I cannot change; 
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference"   - Dr. Reinhold Niebuhr

I like this particular "prayer" because I feel that it is a way of thinking that can be applied to almost everything in life.  Like I said, I'm not particularly religious, but I like the message behind it.  


On another note, I tried two new places in Sac.  Louie's, which is on the corner of Stockon and Broadway, is your typical Chinese restaurant.  It wasn't anything fabulous, but if you are looking for mediocre Chinese food, it's good.  Babycakes on J street is an AWESOME cupcake chop, and is a more "small-town" version of Sprinkles.  I got the triple chocolate cupcake = YUM.

No comments:

Post a Comment